Why do we not show self-control? Why's it so unpopular?
2. Reminds us of our darker side
3. 'Naughty but nice' attitude
Seen as negative
But we are prisoners of sin - we don't have power over it
Prov 25:18 - lack of self-control makes us defenseless
Self-control: exercise of our wills to do what is right habitually
thought ==> action ==> habit ==> character
How can we be self-controlled?
1. Recognise thought patterns that lead to sin - know your poison
2. Control what goes into your mind
3. Expose darkness - tell other people (or just one person)
Must compete with Holy Spirit